Every Day From: 07:00AM - 07:00PM

Is Your Personal Property Covered by Your Insurance?

Most standard homeowner’s insurance policies include four essential types of coverage:

  • Coverage for your home’s structure
  • Personal property coverage
  • Liability protection
  • Additional living expense coverage

As with any insurance policy, it is best to read through all the material to ensure you have a thorough understanding of what your policy covers. Here is an overview of what you can generally expect from a typical homeowner’s insurance policy.


Typically, a homeowner’s insurance policy will cover repairs to a home damaged or destroyed by a fire, storm, hurricane, or other natural disaster. Examples of disasters that are not typically covered include floods and earthquakes. Additionally, homeowner’s insurance does not typically cover routine wear and tear. Most policies include some coverage of detached structures such as garages, gazebos, or sheds. When considering homeowner’s insurance policies, be sure to purchase enough coverage to rebuild your home in case the need arises.


In cases of theft, fire, etc., your insurance will usually cover furniture, clothes, jewelry, appliances, and other personal items. Personal belongings coverage includes property stored off-premises as well as trees, plants, and shrubs. Some items, such as fine art and collectibles, may be subject to a dollar limit in the case of theft. Be sure to keep an extensive inventory of your personal items. Include photos and/or videos to prove the quality of the items. Keep receipts to prove ownership and value. Interested in learning more about protecting yourself from theft? Check out our article What to Know About Theft Claims!


Liability covers you against lawsuits for bodily injury or property damage that you, a family member, or a pet may cause to other people. The liability portion of your policy should cover the cost of defending you in court. Coverage and liability needs will vary according to various factors, and it is always a good idea to discuss whether you should purchase a higher level of protection with an insurance agent.


This coverage applies to costs incurred when you cannot live in your own home due to damage from an insured disaster. This includes expenses such as hotel bills and restaurant meals as well as items such as tarps that may be necessary to make your home habitable. Of course, coverage of additional living expenses often has limits, sometimes even a time limit. If you rent all or a portion of your home, additional living expense coverage might cover the rent you would have collected if the property had not been destroyed. Remember that additional living expenses are only covered when displacement is the result of a covered loss.

A thorough understanding of your homeowner’s insurance policy will help you protect your home and belongings. Be sure to discuss your priorities and concerns with your insurance agent before deciding on a specific policy. At Avner Gat, Inc., we represent your interests in talks with the insurance company throughout the claims process. Give us a call to learn more about how we can assist you with your claim!